Monday, September 01, 2008

Where There Are None...

we must create our own...

Traditions, that is...or Hallmarks, if you prefer...

now I love the Big Holidays...I start anticipating Christmas on December 26th...

and Minor Holidays are fun too especially if we don't get all anal about them*...

but there are places in our lives where we need to create Tradition for ourselves...

Traditions not necessarily addressed by a card at the stationery store or in an aisle at your local Wal-Mart**...

My September 1st tradition is, roll that drum, please, to re-read allllllll of Ms. Karon's Mitford books...yep, that's right...livin' large in the 'Boro...

and can I tell ya'll just how excited I've been about doing this?! look how dog-eared my copy of At Home in Mitford is...I love it...

last year, I actually set a Begin Date of August 15th...but somehow I feel that September 1st, the first Official Fall-Like-If-You-Live-Some-Other-Place-Than-Here-Month, deserves a bit more fanfare than being just the Extra Month of Summer around here...or One of the Extra Months of Summer around here...

next year I need to come up with something to add to the mix...maybe bake a Marmalade Cake and eat it alllll up...

The best part of creating our own Hallmark Days is we can add or subtract as we go...whatever feels right...no rules already so entrenched by Generations of Somebody Elses that our own ideas or inclinations are verboten...planning to dress up like a pirate and rent a parrot for Talk like a Pirate Day...cool (please send me a pix)...or just want to answer your cell "Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum" and call it good? great...whatever floats that proverbial boat...

I may tire of my current September 1st celebration at some point and cancel it...or it may morph into something else...who knows?

the Days roll around come what may...we may as well have a good time while they do...
***************************************************************

*My favourite Minor Holiday has to be Talk Like a Pirate Day...how hysterically funny is that? and how irritated people get over it...oh well...arrrrggggghhhh...I love Captain Barbossa...even if he does need a good wash...I do have a confession...I have never made it through an entire day talkin' like a Pirate...like I said, people tend to get irritated by it pretty rapidly...

I think for Talk Like a Pirate Day we'll watch the At World's End and eat something Pirate-y...hmmmmm...maybe shrimp something-or-another...I have to write this on the calendar...

**don't get me wrong...I can spend lots of time reading cards and laughing out loud over the funny ones (I think greeting card writers must be a fun lot)...and I have actually been known to shell out $3 or $4 for a card...I'm especially weak-willed when it comes to Glittery Cards...those are the best...you actually get to wear some of the glitter for the rest of the day if you're lucky enough to receive or shop for Glittery Cards...My Granny always gave the Best Glittery Cards...


Next Post: the Bed Gets Its Second Coat, my new Office Door and Thrift Christmas Shopping

8 comments:

Deb said...

Talk like a Pirate Day? At first I thought it was a joke of yours but, I clicked the link and there it was. It's probably nothing I could do because I don't even know what Pirates talk about. But it was proof that you can have fun traditionally any way you want. It takes only you Shelia, to bring that out. Now, I'm off to plan a fun tradition for my silly family. When I think of one I'll let you know what it is. *dacwfur* Deb

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Sheila, thanks for stopping by! You must go check out Big Lots. At 60% off, that Jennifer line looks much more appealing. I loved her lamps!

Oh, and I adore those Mitford books, have read everyone of them!

Rhoda

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love the Mitford Series! Did you read the first Father Tim series she has now started?

p.s. come back and enter my 300th post giveaway! It is the post below the current one and ends Sept 3rd at midnight.
Hugs,
P

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Fall Like You Live.....ROFL!!! Right! It may be September but I'm sweating and wearing shorts. I'm so not into fall decorating yet.

I agree with you that it's nice to have traditions. When it gets cold I usually start re-reading all my favorite Austen books. In winter I start re-reading Little House. We always watch Little Women right before Christmas.

Talk like a pirate day sounds fun - we've been talking about doing eat like a barbarian day (can you imagine :-)

Manuela

The Berry's Patch said...

Hey Sheila,

We have "talk like a pirate day" every day at my house. I mentioned we were pirates...right? Anyway, I agree that we should have traditions.

On another note, what does ROFL mean? I keep seeing it around the blogs but have no idea what it is.

Brandee :-)

Julie said...

Oh, Shelia!
First, I have to tell you "Thank you, Thank you!" for remembering me and still coming to visit.
Second, I have to tell you, "Thank you, Thank you!" for saying such sweet words of encouragement trying to make me feel better when I'm just feeling so ugly.
Third, "Thank you, thank you!" for the eggplant recipe. It sounds delicious! I haven't had a chance to cook it yet. How can I tell if it's gone "bad"? Do they last a while? Please say, "Yes." Please say, "Yes."
Fourth, I think you're brilliant for coming up with the idea of making your own holidays (to add to some of our already great ones!)
I've only read one of Miss Karon's books and didn't realize it was part of a series. (I'm such a dunce!) It was Shepherd's Abiding -- of course it's about Christmas!!!! Yay!
What a great tradition to read through her series each September!
And, yes, definitely add that Marmalade Cake to the tradition!
It's fun to pick things up from books and incorporate with your reading (we do that alot in our homeschooling!) But it makes it so much more fun and brings the book to "life"! Have fun and enjoy your early fall!
Many Blessings,
Julie

Cathy said...

Love the Mitford Tradition. I need to finish the series myself.

Thanks for the chuckle!

CAthy

Timi said...

I LOVE IT! I have a hard time with the Pirate talk, I can't seem to get the words right. I might do better with Talk like a Gangsta day!
Love the ideas, I'm going to have to come up with some new traditions for The Hubs and I. I'm also going to have remember to get that book and read it. It's one I haven't read. I'm such a slow reader this might be a good fall and winter read for me.
Have a great day
Timi

it's all about the journey...