Saturday, September 06, 2008

A Little Christmas Gift Thriftin' Love...

for my favourite SIL who is absolutely bonkers for PINK! the woman (and her husband) are just finishing up building a great big pink house on the water...that is how much she loves pink...

we're a lot alike in our decorating tastes...but I go with brown/olive green/gold/burnt orange/brick red/black...she goes with turquoise/kelly green/sunshine yellow/pink/turquoise/white...

we love the same stuff, we just choose different palettes...

given the love affair with pink in all of its shades, I know SIL will love this for her Christmas Gift...

The bowl is Polish Crystal (still has the label...actually still had the price sticker on the bottom) with no chips or cracks, stands about 10 inches tall and is about that wide across...and weighs a ton...I love the cranberry colour of it and the beautiful cuts in the surface of the crystal..

and I'm going to fill it with Christmas ornaments...not the ones I was thinkin' about that are pictured above...those don't really fit the bill...I think I'll go with ones I custom make by filling clear ornaments with craft paint, swirling about it all about to create a beautiful look ornament with SIL's palette in mind...

Don't worry...I'll tell her I thrifted it* because we're both into thriftin' ,
we've a history of exchanging thrifted gifts** and we're both l-o-v-e getting something fabulous for a song ...well, not an actual song because my singing voice would scare anybody who still draws a breath...not encourage the generous bestowing of great things for no cost...

this is a Home Run in the gift department...

so....do any of ya'll Thrift Gift? (I am going to feel so bad if I am the Only One in the Whole Wide World...just keep that in mind...)



******************************************************
*no, I won't be all uncouth about it and blare it extra-real loud right when I hand it over...

**the most important part of receiving a gift is when a person knows you well enough to just pick out a Perfect Something...doesn't matter to me if it is second-hand, third-hand or picked out of the Free Bin at the thrift shop...it is the thought that counts...I have friends and family I'd gift with thrifted items without a second thought...but I do have friends and family that I know that wouldn't sit well with so I Never Go There...

moral: Know Whom to Gift with Thrifted Items and Whom Not to Gift with Thrifted Items :)

16 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey Sheila, thanks for stopping by. I love the idea of the thrifted gift & I've done that a few times with family. My niece in fact likes it when I pick up things for her at yardsales. In fact, I found something today at one with her initial, so she's getting it. I'd much rather do that than hand over money to her...she's 26 now & hard to buy for.

Rhoda

Cathy said...

Great finds Sheila! My friend and I give each other thrift gifts.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your SIL is going to love the gift. Thrifted gifts sound like a great idea to me.

Beautiful colors on the xmas balls - It seems like old ones are much harder to find now.

Deb said...

I love the gifts you've chosen for your SIL. I wouln't have a problem at all receiving a thrift gift. I think it great! Deb

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I would much rather receive a thrifted gift that was perfect for me than a last minute department store gift meant for anyone....
Penny

Darla said...

I love thrifted gifts. Usually they are unique and not the local fare from the Big Box Store.

What beautiful soft colors in the ornaments you show.

Darla

Susie Q said...

I think it is a wonderful gift! I kjnow your SIL will love it.
I think thrifted gifts are perfect.
Always a great idea!

Love,
Sue

Deb said...

Hi Shelia! Stop by when you can, there's an award waiting for you at my blog. :O) Deb

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi!
Me again...on the brown transferware...I do love that. But it is hard to find at a price I feel comfortable breaking. I have down a couple of brown transferware pieces and they were featured in Cottages and Bungalows Magazine. I show it on my side bar. If I ever find some more affordable brown trasferware I will make something and let you know :-)
Hugs,
Penny

The Berry's Patch said...

Oh she will love it! Sounds like you two have a wonderful relationship. Won't she see the gift on your blog?

Barbara Jacksier said...

I always thrift gift. I was the editor of a collectibles magazine for 10 years, so everyone EXPECTS my gifts to be from the flea market.Great find. The colors are divine.

Timi said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the crystal bowl. You need some mercury glass bubls in that little dish! Mix them with some silver and maybe something in a very light shade of pink and I bet it would be beautiful!
A thrifted gift is the best gift if it's got me written all over it.
Timi
P.S. Maybe we can still be friends if you don't like the color of my VW Bug ;-) RE:comment left on my blog.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi Sheila,

I give thrifted gifts too, but only to those I know won't mind them. Sadly there are SOME people I know who wouldn't care for such a gift. Personally I love old things so I'm usually thrilled with something thrifted.

That's a beautiful bowl and your idea with the Christmas balls sounds good - can't wait to see them!

Manuela

Chrissie said...

Thanks for popping over :-) Great finds! Its amazing what you can discover.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh yes ~ isn't thrift gifting just the best? No need to worry that you're going to give a duplicate gift. They're usually one of kind treasures! I love to give thrift gifts and love to receive them as well.

I adore that photo of your dog! LOL What a darling!

And no, so far we don't get black snakes. Of course, before the chickens, we get copperheads. Poisonous and deadly. I hear that black snakes keep them away so I'd be "almost" glad to have a resident black snack as long as he kept his distance!

Smiles,
Lea

Julie said...

Oh, Sheila!
You are just so sweet to think of your SIL like that!
I think that "thrift gifting" sounds really neat and so personal.
Not like going to a big store where there's lots of the same stuff to pick up -- you had to search for that and when you found it, you thought of that person and snatched it up for them! So much more thoughtful!
Blessings,
Julie

it's all about the journey...