Friday, September 05, 2008

As Promised...

the bed, the goblet, the new office door...plus my new Mass-Produced-But-Adorable Pumpkins and Crows and our mantel...

lookin' better...but not there yet...I'm going to do some type of glaze...I'm leaning towards a barn red...honestly, I'm going through some type of decorating midlife crisis...I've always mixed rustic with modern/cottage/french provincial...whatever is at hand and works...but I'm a little unsettled that I seem to be heavily gravitating towards a prim feel...this is somewhat new territory...

no, not going out into the back 40, harvesting saplings and lashin' them together to form our kitchen table (although I have given serious thought to doing that for a bed frame...wouldn't the cats just pass out from sheer hysterical delight?) but definitely tilting towards a home with more rustic leanings than before...

although some of my friends would say that seed has always been there, just waitin' to burst into the light...

invariably, when we were going through our auction stage, the worst looking Piece o' Junk that came onto the bidding floor elicited excited whispers of "Sheila! did you see that?!!!! that looks like you! you have to get that!"...

now I know what is meant by that...but still...

movin' along...

new goblets intended for the Thanksgiving table...very excited about these...let's see...new office door...lovin' this...our home is a ranch-style house built in the early 70s...love the layout...mostly...but all of the bedrooms are on one end of the house, opening onto a shared hallway that gets dark as a cave when the doors are shut...and my office door always stays shut because the cats love to knock my stuff off the shelves...

(what can I say? have cats? don't drag it home unless you can put it up and away or don't mind it being wrecked)

solution: french door picked up from Habitat* for a song...$20, I think...

still in the primer stage while I decide what colour I want to sling up there...leanin' towards black, but red is a strong contender...

and this is our mantel "stuff"...do ya'll know how hard it is too find black tapers?! welllllll, pret-ty darn hard it seems...at least in these parts...($1.99 a piece at Grand Harbor)...

my poor swan...I bought him offa e-bay and the seller did such a CRAPPY job of packing that he arrived with his neck broken in 2 places...I could have filed the insurance but by the time the cost of shipping was deducted I would have been out $20....plus I didn't like the idea of Swan being thrown in the junk pile just because some Knot Head is a slacker...

yep, I'll throw that harsh talk right out there and I'm not a bit sorry...unlike that seller...

one of the few bad experience I've had on e-bay...actually, one of two...oh well, I guess I'm batting pretty good...

anyhoo, I decided "HEY! my speciality is decorating with stuff that has been wrecked in some fashion or another" so I glued Swan back together, placed him on the mantel and call it good...Swan gets dusted around...

***********************************************************
*always always always check your local Habitat shop for building/renovating supplies...it keeps stuff out of the landfill and helps others at the same time plus, generally, the prices are easy on the wallet...a visit to Habitat can be hit or miss like any other thrifty shopping so make yourself a list for any future projects and just get into the habit of swinging by...

just this past weekend, DH and I wandered over to look see (we need 2 nice big windows for our garage rehab) and while we struck out, the big find this time if we were in the market was beautiful wood doors with leaded glass inserts that probably came from one of the local home improvement stores who were discontinuing those styles and didn't need the display items any longer...sweet deal if you could use them...

11 comments:

Darla said...

Well look who is back from Tybee. I checked a couple of times and decided maybe you just moved there.

Glad to see ya, gotta go check out what you've been up to. Love those pottery pumpkins.

Darla

Deb said...

Hi Shelia, I love your office door, and I see you have finally added your photo. Yes I even like the peeking effect. It's so nice to finally meet you! I love your pumkins with the crows, so prim and I actually like the color of your bed. If I were you I would just get a small can of mahogany stain by Minwax and rub a little on and wipe it off to give it an antiqued look. It will be a little darker in the grooves than on top. But if you decide to do that test first so I won't be the cause of something you don't like.:O)

The Berry's Patch said...

I had to go back and see what photo deb was talking about. And there you are, well part of you anyway. I saw those pumpkins and crows at Lowes the other day and almost bought one. They are just too cute! Your bed turned out great. I like it just the way it is. Great idea using the french door for your office. We did the same for my hubby's office. It's located on the dark side....of the house that is. We had to lock the cat out of the office b/c she was trying to share my hubby's water. I don't know what the big deal is, drinking after a cat. ;-)

PAT said...

I love the pumpkins and crows!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

We have two Habitat stores in Atlanta and I've never been. I have no excuse other than I don't like to drive. I have to get my husband to take me.

Love the office door and the pumpkins are cute!

Manuela

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Deb, I like the idea of stain...we'll see if the paint works...if not, then I'll give the stain a try...I was going for a dark red brown colour so mahogany would be spot on...

Paula@SweetPea said...

Love your bed, new door, and the glossy black paint on your mantel. You've been busy!

Your new pumpkins are as cute as can be. I've never seen that design.

Susie Q said...

Love the office door. It is just like the one into my little study.
LOVE the look of your mantle and that you saved the poor swan from a certain death. Phooey on that seller.
Love the pumpkins...
and the bed.

Love,
Sue

Susie Q said...

I forgot to mention that I have those goblets! Aren't they wonderful??

Love,
Sue

Fifi Flowers said...

does that new door have fleur de lis on it and is it red? is that what I see behind the pumpkins?

Julie said...

I just love your mantel decor, your bed, your pumpkins, and especially that goblet!!!!
I can't wait to see your Thanksgiving table!!!!!!

And wow! On that door!

Blessings,
Julie

it's all about the journey...