Thursday, June 29, 2006


As a non-recovering plant addict, it is not safe to allow me within about 100 yards of a nursery...or chain store garden center...or a trash pile at the dump (my junkin' addiction is another sordid affair...my son has logged lots of time hunched down in the mini-van while I dragged assorted trash off the curbs of our town)...

Normally, I enforce a self-imposed rule of No New Plants After June 1st...the heat and humidity just make it so difficult for newly installed plants to flourish...hell, makes it difficult for them to even survive without major output of effort on my part...

But...a couple of months ago, Mr. G & I blew by an interesting nursery on our way into Swainsboro (we were hunting down a country buffet a friend clued me into)...I think G knew the garden center was coming up and sped up as we approached so I couldn't get a good look...his mistake because, oh yeah, I remember all that pertains to retail and that flyin' low espisode pretty much guaranteed a return trip...Anyhoo, Mr. G, being the Doll Baby that he can occasionally be, took yesterday off and we drove up to get a peek...man, he hates trailing along behind me in a nursery...

the name of the place turns out to be Yard Master and it is more than a nursery...carries seeds and some animal supplies...but getting back to important matters...the annuals and perennials were lookin' a little peaked~most of the stock is of common variety, but when you're building a big garden from scratch like we are, common can be good...

in short, the haul was 2 scuppernog vines, 2 healthy-lookin' gauras, 1 pomegranate bush, and 2 Red Confetti hypoestes...I'm not much of an annual fan, but hypoestes love to self-sow all over the place...

Yard Master does have the most beautiful Japanese Maple I've ever seen...I love JMs and I would love to have this one in my garden...however, since G seems to find the $175 price tag a little much, currently, I am without this dream tree...we'll see about what goes on at the negotiating table...I had my digital camera with me and didn't even think to snap a pix...but I expect I'll be going by to stare it at least once more here shortly...I can just envision Sangko (I recall that much of the name...I think...maybe Sagara...) regally ensconced in a beautiful pot, gently swaying in a soft breeze, with little bits of sunshine moving about through the leaves...

Maybe an early Christmas present?

No comments:

it's all about the journey...