Friday, June 09, 2006


Watering Cans

How many do you own? I have 2~one is a dark green plastic affair that has lost its spout somewhere along the way...I think I picked it up at Wal-Mart or K-Mart or somewhere like that and the second one, a galvanized job, came as a gift some years ago...

Every morning, I take my galvanized watering can out to the veggie patch and give all the plants a good drink. Well, sometimes, I short Squash #3 a little because my path always seems to leave #3 for last. Then, I'm pretty good about remembering to take the same watering can out to the front porch where I have quite the assortment of potted up plants~and I'm not the World's Biggest Fan of keeping a lot of containers sitting about, but I'm also in the running for World's Biggest Sucker when it comes to matters like bedraggled plants on the clearance cart and kittens~so, anyway, I have all these pots and I usually manage to make it through the entire porch with one can of water...not today~I think I overcompensated with the 2 hanging baskets because I forgot them yesterday.

Therefore, Kalanchoe Number Bazillion, Mega Aloe, Mother-in-Law's Tongue and Datura Seedling got only drips this morning...

The 3 Tomato Plants in the front courtyard get their water with the plastic green bucket~the missing head makes it easier to tuck the spout in amongst the bottom leaves and give the roots a good drink.

I also toted a couple of buckets out to the huge flower bed (legacy of the previous owners...a huge empty bed that I'm trying to fill with easygoing perennials, shrubs, and little trees...)because some of the plants, courtesy of sandy soil and lack of significant rainfall in the past couple of weeks, are looking a little peaked...I tend to not coddle ornamentals and will only resort to watering them after several weeks of no rain and hot temps...but when I do relent and start the water brigade out to the areas beyond the courtyard, I have to weigh how much I'm willing to baby each plant.

The plants that shrug off dry conditions and hot weather earn my gratitude each time I pass them by with the bucket...the plants that seem to fade after only a few days start logging time in my peripheral garden eye so I can decide if a move is in order or if this plant just isn't going to work for me with the amount of care I'm willing to hand out...the equation is an entirely subjective thing...sometimes, I'm irrationally going to baby one plant in favor of another and there will be no rhyme or reason to the arrangement...example: me draggin' buckets of water out to water all of those Rescued Kalanchoes when I hate having a bunch of pots around...but since my Granma grew kalanchoes and gave me one years ago, I have an attachment to them that can't be reasoned with...

No comments:

it's all about the journey...