Thursday, July 06, 2006

This lovely plant is my first ever datura...I still can't believe I actually have a datura about to bloom in our front courtyard! Mr. G picked this little darling up earlier this year from Jane Fishman's spring garden exchange in Savannah...

I stayed home that day for some reason, but Mr. G., in Savannah running an errand, was kind enough to stop by, drop off a huge potted asparagus fern the previous owners left here and pick up a few seedlings for me.

The gardener in me hasn't grown ruthless enough to simply pitch the asparagus fern over the back fence. My one and only citrus tree wasn't quite so lucky...after 3 years of struggling with that blessed orange tree, begging, pleading, coddling...over the back fence it went...and I've not had a moment's regret or shame since then (about the orange tree, that is)...

I gave serious consideration to just sitting the Asparagus Fern by the road and letting the chips fall where they, well, fell...but the plant swap seemed a more assured chance of letting the Asparagus Fern find a kind and lovin' home...something I couldn't provide since asparagus ferns just don't float my boat...in fact, there is something about them that I pretty much actively dislike...there just is not rhyme or reason to why certain plants warm our hearts and others leave the cardiac unit cold...

Anyway, the poor abandoned thing sat on the back deck through frost and freeze, still managing to send out little green arms come the spring...anything that determined deserved better than my, at best, benign neglect...so I gave Little Fernie a haircut and sent her out into the world to seek her fortune...

I like to imagine that Little Fernie sits somewhere, basking in the the glow of her new parent's admiration, with a place of honor...and an assured spot inside when one of Savannah's handful of freezing nights comes...

No comments:

it's all about the journey...