Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I am a
Snapdragon

What Flower
Are You?

I have no idea who makes these What-Are-You quizzes up, but they are a fun way to spend a minute or two...

So, I am a Snapdragon and ""Mischief is your middle name, but your first is friend. You are quite the prankster that loves to make other people laugh."

And it is true! I do love to make people laugh...that is a good thing, right? well, at least it is a harmless thing...right? okay...the desire to make people laugh, especially those we hold close to our hearts, is a good thing...as long as the laughter doesn't dismiss or gloss over the uncomfortable feelings exposed when life's little messes come along and your loved one is looking for safe haven while sharing anger/sadness/jealousy/uncertainty/[fill it in here] with you...

Making others laugh can be a gift, but the gift has to be balanced with discernment...believe me, I've dropped the ball more than once when it comes to be discerning about whether someone wants me to listen with my mouth closed and my heart open or whether he/she wants someone cracking jokes about a crappy situation...

I guess one can cultivate a lot of abilities...the ability to be discerning...the ability to profusely apologize when one misses the Discernment Boat...the ability to find new short-term friends if one possesses neither of the previous two abilities...

As I've gotten older, I think...I hope...my discernment skills have moved beyond Beginner to Intermediate level...I still have to apologize often enough to realize that I have yet to become the Zen Master of Discernment...

No comments:

it's all about the journey...