Friday, April 04, 2008

Those Stinkin' Fine Lines...

no, not the ones creeping in around my eyes...that subject is still listed in the Almost Complete State of Denial category...(and we do not discuss the Crepe Neck Thing)

no, I'm talking about those fine lines, or not so fine lines, we all have to negotiate with ourselves each and every day...

each car trip has become a conversation with myself about Global Warming, Peak Oil and, of course, the freakin' Cost of Gas...

each grocery store purchase has all of the above in the conversation as well as Eat Locally, Organic Farming, Excessive Packaging and Did I Remember the Cloth Bags...

even a trip to the plant nursery which should be an exercise only in Beauty and Tenderness Towards Mother Nature not only involves GW, PO, CoG for transportation of plants to the site but also considering what fertilizers are used to force plants into premature but lovely bloom and the run-off into our water sheds as well as who is working those large nursery fields/greenhouses--

and don't even get me started about the crisis of conscience I go through when I want to buy something totally discretionary like a book (or, God Forbid, a magazine...especially my beloved British Country Living which flies across the Atlantic wreakin' allllll sorts of environmental damage...and, yes, I'm givin' it up...except the Christmas Issue...and maybe the November Issue..well, maybe just the Fall Issues), my beloved white button-downs...and, gasp, make-up...

I managed to ignore that little niggling guilt I felt about havin' my granny's solitaires put into modern white gold settings...and then I read in Affluenza about how 600 tons of raw material are required to generate a ring setting...

H-O-L-Y C-R-A-P...I hope I read that wrong...

No comments:

it's all about the journey...