Sunday, June 03, 2007

Mr Frog Says...


about 4 inches of Much Needed Rain fell yesterday at Number 17! and I expect maybe even more because sometimes the wind gusted so strongly that the rain was comin' in sideways...

Of course, it was the Perfect Day to drive to Tybee Island for the Tybee Island Tour of Homes...[very wry look upon my face]...yesterday morning, I offered up a lot of silent prayers that the tour would be postponed...it wasn't...
Look, I can be a Trooper when the need arises...However, once my Inner Trooper literally gets Wet Feet...and Wet Pant Legs (is there much more physically discomforting than wet clothes slapping against your body?)...well...my butt rises steadily up until it sits firmly upon my shoulders...I hate having Wet Feet...30 seconds into the tour I had wet feet...shoes...and clothes...

After the first 3 houses, I kept waitin' for one of the Men Folk in the group to call a halt to the day's Romp in the Rain...by the 7th house, Resignation had set in...along with frequent and bitter commentary...from the backseat...somewhere in my general area...

But, seriously, ya'll...touring homes on the beach while a tropical system is blowin' through? man...I'm afraid my manners just deserted me...I think they went on home to change into some Bleepin' Dry Shoes...

However, I managed to spend some time in St. Michael's Thrift Shop while the rest of the party went into lunch...ah, the sunny spot in a miserable day...
And lookee what I found:

a vintage print (it weights a ton and had chain on the back to use for hangin'...about 22" x 29") for the bedroom...

I actually bought its mate (some type of purple flower), but swapped it back for two of these gorgeous large brass trays...I'm not likin' it on the fireplace, but I stuck it up there to get a pix since there is a large masonry screw already in place...

(this photo so you can see the scale of the tray...forgive the fire screen...I haven't taken it down for the spring/summer...)

and these...love these...(the ginger jar...got 2 of them)


oh...Gillie wanted her photo taken :)
and the cantaloupe vines loved all that rain!

and I imagine I will apologize for being a horse's behind..maybe...










































9 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Mrs. G! Thanks for stopping by to see me. So glad to meet you & I see you love thrifting too. I laughed at your post of the home tour & all the rain. I'm afraid I would be been grumpy too, so can't blame you for that.

I just read Paula Deen's new autobiography & really enjoyed it. So, you must live near Savannah too? Will definitely check out more of your blog when I get the chance.

Please drop by often!

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Cathy said...

Great finds Mrs. G, I especially love the print. I hate you got soggy during the home. I received a note in the mail yesterday announcing an auction next Saturday. Hoping to find some good deals.

Darla said...

Home tours in the rain? So do the homeowners welcome all the wet people dripping through their house or is it only to look at the outside or something? The whole idea confuses me and I agree, about three minutes into it and I'd have been mighty cranky.

Your vine does look pretty happy with the situation tho.

Darla

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Darla, it is confusing, isn't it? :) Often home tours are done with the proceeds going to charity...in this case, most of the homes were very expensive homes recently renovated or built beach homes and the tour was for the interiors...

Rhoda, we moved out of Savannah about 1 1/2 years ago, but Mr G still works in Savannah & we have friends & family there :)

Good luck, Miss Cathy, with that auction :) I know you will find some absolutely loverly things :)

Suzanne said...

Hi Mrs. G~ The tour sounds lovely, but NOT with the rain. I believe grumpiness was in order!

Love that froggie rain gauge,
and all of your wonderful thrift store finds...a bright spot in your soggy day.
Suzanne

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Hi - I would have been very pouty. I hate wet pants bottoms slapping my ankles! Can't blame you for being grumpy! BUT, you did find some lovely things. So it wasn't all for nothing! Wish we had gotten some of that rain - we need it!

Manuela

Simply Me Art said...

Hi Mrs.G, First off send some of that much needed rain out west. Fires will be a Blazin here this summer. I love touring homes,so much fun and great Ideas are had. Love the Tray over the fireplace too. Oh, and please send me that lovely little Corgie! One of my Favorite Breeds. She would be at home here with my three Stooges. P.S. the Jam is Wonderful on English muffins too... Keep your eyes peeled for your Mail Person, they have a little bit of the west heading your way! Jamie

Donna said...

Great goodies! I used to date someone whose family had a summer home on Tybee Island - ahhh, it could have been mine! Love your blog -

Donna

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

Oh, Mrs G.

Reading about Tybee Island brings back great memories, What a Beautiful Place to Be... My Brother & SIL use to live in Savannah, so I visited Tybee Island many times... One day hope to go back... What a Place to Think & Be Inspired!
Have a Great Day
Cheryl

it's all about the journey...